(Above Image): Claire Clemo presented with the Mission Rotary Club Distinguished Service Award for her 30 years of dedicated service to her students – Mission Central in 1992.

Claire Clemo was a female educator who taught in Mission from 1956-1995, as an educator she knew the important role she played in her students’ lives and didn’t take it lightly.  She understood that it was not only the child’s responsibility to try their best but also her responsibility to support all of her students.  In a sermon at St.Paul’s Presbyterian Church, Mrs.Clemo explains that “I go about my day fulfilling my vital role as a school teacher. I must train a child in the way he should go. In the guidance he receives; The child, that individual, that human being is eventually prepared to handle the self, the whole being, and eventually be able” ( Clemo, 1981, pp 1). This sermon clearly puts into perspective how much Claire Clemo took her duties seriously as a teacher.  As she knew that her advice, support, and choice of words could have a major impact on her students’ lives for the better or for worse.   That educators’ are put in a position of power and all educators must use their power wisely.  Throughout her time as a teacher although she was focused on covering the curriculum her main hope was that “My teaching will be a support for my students for the rest of their lives” (Clemo, 1981, pp 1). 

Due to Mrs.Clemo’s dedication to teaching and education, she was able to achieve this hope.  As many of Claire Clemo’s past students have thanked her for her supportive teaching style.  A poem highlighting Mrs.Clemo’s strengths as a teacher was written by one of her students in 1983 “ You are the master of thought, The sun that warms our hearts. You are the trainer of minds, The creator of beauty and the voice inside of us all. You will always be more of a part of me than a memory” (Smith, 1983).  As well another student at the end of the school year exclaims to Mrs.Clemo that “I always wished the year would end. But now I wish it would start all over again. I’ll see you again. I don’t know where and I don’t know when.  But I will” (Fitzgerald, 1996).  Clearly, Mrs.Clemo provided her students with a comforting and respectful environment where they could feel free to be themselves and explore within their education.  As it is very rare for students to wish they could start the year over again, even with exceptional teachers.  But Mrs.Clemo was definitely an exception as she touched the hearts and minds of her students, this love for her students helped Mrs.Clemo build long-lasting relationships with all of her students even after they left her classroom.  One previous student of Claire Clemo explains that “She made everyone seem like they were important individuals and to her, I’m sure we all were” (Beaulieu, ND). 

(Above Image): Claire Clemo with one of her students- Mission in 1977. (Mission Community Archives, 1977).

As a female educator, Claire Clemo truly cared about her students and tried to make learning more engaging.  One of the ways she made learning more fun in her class was by creating a new time block called “Special period” at the end of every school day.  This “Special period” combined both math and english “For the enrichment of students” (Clemo, 1979-1980).  As an educator, Claire Clemo noticed many of her students enjoyed language arts but struggles with math.  So to make her students more engaged in their math lessons she combined both math and language arts into one period to help her students grasp math concepts easier.  For example, in one lesson she started off with an english lesson and taught the children how to spell and say the mathematical terms.  Then after she went on to show them the mathematical lesson of how to use these signs.  By starting off the lesson with something students enjoyed she was able to start the math lesson with students feeling confident and excited.  

Due to the innovative lesson plans and passion, Claire Clemo had for education this translated over into her classroom management skills.  It was as if the students saw how much effort Mrs.Clemo put into every day and reciprocated it.  When administrators would visit Mrs.Clemo’s class to evaluate her teaching skills they would only ever have positive things to say.  Such as “There were no instances of any pupil misbehaviour” (Pupil Report, 1983). And “I was pleased to note that every pupil in your classroom was engaged in Silent Reading when I stopped in today. As well, I was pleased to note that you were providing an excellent role model for the pupils by reading silently” (Jim, 1985).  Although many teachers put effort into their teaching many of their students still act out.  But in the case of Mrs.Clemo, it is clear that her strong relationships with her students led them to respect her and the classroom rules.  It seems as though Claire Clemo and her students had a mutual understanding that they needed to respect and work with one another to be successful in the classroom.

(Above Image): Claire Clemo (In the back right) and her students welcoming the Governor General of Canada during his visit- Mission Central in 1992. (Mission Community Archives, 1992).

As a female educator in Mission, Claire Clemo was able to provide her students with a loving, empathetic, and respectful classroom environment.  Her teaching style, beliefs, and wisdom would stay in the minds and hearts of her students long after they had left the public school system.  Although she never married or had children she was dedicated to her work in education and with the youth.  When asked if she regrets never having a family Claire has explained that “I consider myself extremely fortunate for I have been called to do one of the most important jobs in life.  Teaching the young” (Fraser Valley Record, 1989).   As a female educator, she was able to reach most of her students and cherished all the moments she was able to spend with them.  And even though her teaching style was old-fashioned and focused on the basics “She was the type of teacher people loved to remember” (Fraser Valley Record, 1989).  Overall, Claire Clemo was a very important educator to the city of Mission as she used her skills, knowledge, and experience to positively impact the lives of her students.